Heart & Soul Charitable Fund - Spotlight on the Grants CommitteeSunday, June 07, 2009
The Heart & Soul Charitable Fund donates money to community programs that meet the following criteria:
- Serve the underprivileged or needy.
- Enhance the worth and dignity of the individuals served.
- Are tolerant and open-minded in scope.
- Are run efficiently, providing the highest level of services given resource levels.
- Need funding and have an annual budget under $1.5 million.
- Serve Manhattan's Upper East Side, Harlem-El Barrio, and more generally our NYC neighborhood.
The Grants Committee is a dedicated group of nine volunteers who thoroughly evaluate the programs that Heart & Soul supports to ensure that contributed funds will be, and are, used effectively and efficiently. For example, Grants Committee is now evaluating a new grant application from the Women's Center for Education and Career Advancement (WCECA), which helps women achieve economic self-sufficiency by providing support services such as employment readiness, resume writing, interviewing skills, and business management training. The WCECA's Executive Director recently made a presentation to the Grants Committee, and the committee will visit the WCECA's site in the near future.
The Grants Committee has, during the first half of 2009, distributed $106,575 to ten NYC outreach programs including Friday Soup Kitchen, Monday Night Hospitality, Musica Viva, New Amsterdam Boys and Girls Choir, and the Navigators.